Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I'm a little 'rusty' at this...

People probably wonder if anyone ever really uses those pins they save on pinterest. Well,  I do, and so do some other people I know. It's easier than ripping out  an idea from a magazine and trying to keep track of it until I use it.

One thing I had been wanting to try was rusting items, so there was no time like the present.

I gathered all the supplies, which are really very few:
For this recipe you need one 16 oz bottle of hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup white vinegar and 2 Tbsp. salt. You also need a plastic container to 'cook' everything in. I used a milk jug with the top cut off.

Next, you gather everything you want to rust. I wanted to try a little of everything so I gathered safety pins, keys, clothes pins, cow tags, jingle bells, some jewelry bits, and other odds and ends.




Then, you mix the solution and add your items. The solution turns brown or "rust" color and after an hour or so starts to bubble up. That's OK. You want it to do that, it tells you its working.


Leave it for about 16 hours. I started mine in the early evening and took it out following day when I got up at noon. Yep, noon. I was tired.



Remove it from the solution and set it on newspaper to dry. My results weren't too bad. Some things rusted like I had hoped, and other things didn't rust as much as I wanted, like the safety pins...but  everything got some degree of rust, so all in all I count it as success. So easy! Now what to do with all this rusty stuff?!

No comments:

Post a Comment